sgyouthbridge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to double?

Go down

When to double? Empty When to double?

Post  derrulb Thu May 27, 2010 11:49 am

Allow me to share a fun hand I saw on bbo another day.

Dealer West. None Vul
-------S K J 10 7 4 2
-------H K 7 4
-------D A K Q 9
-------C -

S Q 8 6 3-------------S A 5
H J 9 8 3-------------H A Q 10 2
D 10 5 3 2------------D J 8 7 6 4
C 2-------------------C 9 7

-------S 9
-------H 6 5
-------D -
-------C A K Q J 10 8 6 5 4 3

What a deal!

North: cantseewhy South: Chronicles

Bidding:
West North East South
P - 1S - 2D - 3C
3D - X - P - 4D
P - 4S - P - 5C
P - 6C - P - 7C
All Pass

South showed us how much he loved his hand by forcing to game on the first bid, then cuebidding the opponent's suit at the 4 level, rebidding his suit, and re-raised North's raise to the grand slam!

I would like to bring your attention to the 6C bid, a good bid by North (anticipating a diamond lead to chuck 3 losers away)

Whether East should double 6C to demand a spade lead is questionable, but East should certainly double 7C as he could tell a diamond lead from partner would be disastrous!

But well, East failure to double was the reason this hand appeared in this forum.

West led the 3 of diamonds. You know what happens next.

Lesson learnt:
Lightner double/Lead-directing double
A double of a slam contract(or a confident 3NT auction), asking for an unusual lead. Definition and priorities of unusual leads is to be discussed with partner.

Examples:
1. Lead dummy's first bid suit (common practice includes natural suit only, but can be modified as you wish)
2. Lead the highest ranking non trump
3. Lead the highest ranking reasonable suit against 6NT,7NT (usually means not their source of tricks)
4. Lead the shorter major against 1NT-3NT, double

Also note:
The negative inference made when partner failed to double can be extremely useful! You might want to consider the suits in which a lead directing double would NOT have indicated.
derrulb
derrulb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum